Little Lights Urban Ministries provides holistic ministry and services to children and families living in poverty in Washington, D.C., primarily focusing in Potomac Gardens and Hopkins, two public housing communities on Capitol Hill. Little Lights provides high quality and intensive after-school and summer programs with academics and enrichment, one-to-one mentoring, and arts-based programs. Little Lights also provides economic empowerment and family resource programs through the Family Center, on-the-job training, and the Clean Green Team, a landscaping micro-enterprise.
Little Lights Urban Ministries empowers underserved youth, families, and communities in Washington DC by sharing the hope of Christ through compassionate action, caring relationships, and racial reconciliation.
- At Little Lights, lives are transformed daily by prayer, compassionate action, and hope.
- We envision a community of racial and class reconciliation where mutual respect and authentic fellowship provide a place of healing and joy.
- We envision all children and youth thriving in every way through academic support, character-development, and arts and recreation.
- We envision adults engaged in gainful employment and moving out of the cycle of poverty.
- We envision families being strengthened, children and youth becoming healthier and safer, and loving relationships flourishing
- Prayer: provides the power for change.
- Humility: being teachable and servant-minded.
- Compassion: empathizing with those in need and acting on it.
- Integrity: doing what we say we will do, and doing it well.
- Diversity: being intentionally inclusive and seeking healing across race and class to build healthy community.
- Innovation: having the courage to try new ideas.
- Celebration: honoring people and recognizing victories, big and small.