This month our adult cooking class whipped up a healthy and delicious meal with some serious sizzle! The eight women who attended made Ms. Linda’s flavorful Caribbean Chicken served over jasmine rice. They also served a variety of fruit with homemade fruit dip and Island Punch.
The ladies worked together preparing and cooking the food, two people at each station. While each pair had their own task, they were able to go around and see what the other teams were working on. It was a group effort that resulted in a fantastic meal full of island flavors.
The Healthy Meals on a Shoestring Budget cooking class meets once a month at the Hill Center, where they create healthy and cost-effective meals together. Each meal they have created so far costs less than $3 to make!
Want to try it for yourself? Check out the recipe below – and let us know what you think!
Ms. Linda’s Caribbean Chicken
- Butter (can substitute with olive oil)
- Canned pineapple juice
- Jasmine rice
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Orange ginger marinade
- Garlic ½ tsp powder
- Sea salt 1/8 tsp
- Jerk seasoning 1/8 tsp
- Cayenne pepper 1/8 tsp
- Sugar ½ tsp
- Bell peppers – yellow, red, orange (1 of each)
- Carrots, julienned ½ cup
- Broccoli ½ cup
- Snow peas ½ cup
- Feel free to add your own!
- 1 mango, cut up
- Pineapple slices
- 1 Orange cut up
- Lime – for zest
- Soak chicken in orange ginger marinade – massage the chicken until tender. Combine spices and work into the chicken breast.
- Let chicken rest for at least 20 – 30 minutes to absorb flavor (or leave in fridge overnight). Cut up chicken into 1 inch pieces.
- In large frying pan, add 2 tbsp. of butter or margarine ( can substitute for olive oil) to coat the pan. Add about 1/8 cup of canned pineapple juice.
- Slice peppers and add them to pan. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken to pan. Cook for at least 10 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Once chicken is cooked, add desired vegetables (about a handful or ½ cup of each). Let simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add desired fruit –(You can also add orange and lime zest to flavor).
- Once fruit is added, Let everything simmer together for 4-8 minutes.
- Serve over bed of jasmine rice and enjoy!